Thursday, January 10, 2013

Genealogy Research For Parents Of William O`dell Born 24 April 1825 Monroe County New York Died 18 March 1895 Flint, Genesee County Michigan

William O`Dell, NY, OHIO, MICHIGAN.....Researching my uncle`s g grandfather, William O`Dell, who has been a brick wall ,for way to many years. William O`Dell was born 24 Apr 1825 in Monroe County, New York. He married Margaret Hardy, 22 Jan 1846 in Ashtabula County, Ohio. We have all of their info from when they got married to their deaths in Flint, Genesee County, Michigan. William died 18 Mar 1895, Flint, Genesee County, Michigan. Death info says that he was the son of Jonas O`Dell and Betsey ?. My uncle`s family say`s that Jonas was 3rd generation of Jonas O`Dell`s. I have found only one family with 3 generations of Jonas O`Dell, New York, an my uncle`s g grandfather William O`Dell, does not fit into that family. I did go to Flint in the Fall of 2009 to visit friends an family. While there I went to the Flint Public Library and found William`s obituary. In it, it said: He also leaves a sister, Mrs. Miriba Smith of Davison, a sister living in Pennsylvania and two in Ohio. I do believe that I have found Miriba, who was Maribah O`Dell Allen Smith, born abt 1813/1816, New YorK. She died 21 Sept 1902, Davison, Genesee County, Michigan. Her death info only say`s that a J. O`Dell was her father. The name George keeps showing up since William. I informed my aunt that the name George means something. The name George has been over used since William. I believe that the name George is from Betsey`s side of the family. I decided to research the name George O`Dell, Ohio. I found a George O`Dell who died in 1887, Brunswick, Medina County, Ohio. His parents were Jonas O`Dell and Betsey Rich. They all show up on a 1850 census for Parma, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, under head of household, Jonas Odle. On that census with them is Lucy, born1834 New York, Pamelia, born 1829 Canada, and a John, born 1763 Ohio. I found that Pamelia was George`s wife. I found Lucy`s death info, which has her as Lucy O`Dell Beakam ( I think it`s to be Beaham ) Toerl, born 25 Jul 1831 New York, died 30 Mar 1915, Brunswick Twp, Medina County, Ohio. Parents, Jonas O`Dell and Betsey Rich. I have now found another daughter for Jonas and Betsey. Sara C, O`Dell Tomb. Her death info, born abt. 1836 Rochester, New York, died 10 Apr 1922, Brunswick Twp, Medina County, Ohio, burial Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Parents Jonas Dodell and Betsey Rich.  

2 comments:

  1. Going back to William O`dell`s obit, it said: He also leaves a sister, Mrs. Miriba Smith of Davison, a sister living in Pennsylvania and two in Ohio. I believe that the sister in Pennsylvania to be Sara O`dell Tomb. Sara O`dell Tomb was living in Pennsylvania when William died in 1895. I believe that the two in Ohio were Lucy O`dell Beaham Toerl ( should be Towl ) and ?. George O`dell can not be counted since he died in 1887, eight years before William`s death. So, Jonas Odle/O`dell and Betsey Rich had to have had another child. I went through the 1850 Census for Parma, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, to see if anyone interesting might show up in the neighborhood. I found a Richard Odle born 1816 New york with his family. I saved the census because two of his children are a son Jonas and a daughter Betsey Ann. I believe this Richard Odle is a son to Jonas Odle/O`dell and Betsey Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still looking for William's grandparents? I am in a direct line from him, the granddaughter of his youngest son, George. I have a theory that fits with what other family members told you about the three Jonases. Please contact me with other info you might have collected in the last three years or so, and/or if you would like to know my thoughts based on what I have found. Thank you,
    Shannon Williamson

    ReplyDelete